Sunday, March 22, 2009

-Assisi Day 8 Saturdy

This morning was to focus on the life of Saint Francis. We began with Mass right at Francis' tomb. I was the reader. From there we looked at the Basilica of Saint Francis, which was where we just had Mass. I was very drawn to the frescos on the first level of the basilica. The tour then continued, but I felt I should stay and did not want to continue being so busy with school tours. I stayed back at the Basilica to look at the frescos. The frescos were of the life of Saint Francis, that covered two of the long walls and then the front of the Church. The school gave us a paper stating a fragment of information about each of them. I was still thirsting for more so I went and bought a book about each of the frescos. I spent most of the rest of the morning there. After lunch I came back and spent the entire afternoon there reading the book and studying the frescos. They are so interesting and have so much detail in each of them. Right before I arrived in Assisi I had just finished a book on Francis so he was current in my mind. I read the entire book I had bought that day. When I had bought the book I also bought a rosary. It came to be 3:00 Pm and I wanted to pray, but not without the rosary blessed. I went to a monk that was there, but he did not speak English.
I said "Pater?" He said, "Bless?" I smiled big and nodded yes. He said a long prayer-I believe to be in Italian- and then blessed my rosary. I went straight to a pew and prayed a Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Then I got up and continued my study on the life of Saint Francis.

When I get back, I am willing to show the frescos copies that I have and explain the significance
of each them to anybody who wants to know. I am a visual learner, so it helps me to see images and connect them in my mind that way.

That was a great day for me. I stayed in one church the entire day.
I prayed as I studied and just soaked up as much as I could, just like I felt God was calling me to do that day.

That evening we had Sunday Mass for the next day was to be a travel day.

No comments: