On Wednesday I went to a Tenebrae Service in the Sacred Heart Chapel (adoration chapel) next to the Maria Throne Chapel (daily Mass). I had no idea what it was but I wanted to go anyway and see what it was.
I actually have a neat story before I talk about the service. I have been ill and on top of it one of my ears is swollen so it is straining to hear in class and my fellow peers. I had seven papers due this week, all but two of them major papers. It was becoming difficult to do my schoolwork because I would get tired so easily. I would work on my papers but by the time night came I could not stay up for I was exhausted. This had been happening for a couple weeks now, that is why I did not already have my papers done. I was getting my papers done, but at a very slow pace; I needed more time. On top of my assignments, signs were posted all around the Kartause for the Tenebrae Service. I didn't know what it was but I desired to go to it.
I needed extra time whether I could go to the service or not. To make this short, I got an extension on three of my papers, and I could have for another three, but did not need it. The thing was, I only asked an extension on one paper. The other extensions were just given by another professor. I was so grateful for then I was able to go to the Tenebrae Service, and if I got too tired working after that I could sleep and start again the next day. I ended up getting too tired to stay up so I went to sleep early. But the next day I had no school and wrote 7/12 papers, that is including the ones I got extensions on and papers that are due in the next couple weeks. Thank you, Lord for allowing this.
I praise God for giving me more time that I could pray and write my papers well instead of rushing through them. I am astounded that God made this week work so well. And, I never over-stressed through it. I just took it as it came and slept when I needed to and worked when I could.
So, the Tenebrae Service. I do not know all the theology about it or why it is done, but I can tell you what I experienced. It was set up similar to praying the Divine Office, but all pointed towards the Passion of our Lord. We sang in choirs on each side of the chapel. There were 9 candles lit on the altar and throughout the liturgy the candles were blown out by someone, except for the large middle candle. That candle represented the light of Christ. Towards the end of the service and after the Gospel reading the candle was put behind the altar and by that time all the lights were out in the Church. It was resembling Christ being gone. It only lasted for a few moments and then the candle was place back on the altar.
I am not doing justice to the service at all in explaining it in the way I did. I just do not know enough to explain it well, I apologize for that, but I am learning. The service was a good meditation with the readings and psalms that were sung or said.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment